Local Government / Pounds / Rangers

To see the list of Local Governments and Pounds that Lost Pet Finders enjoys a close relationship with click on the links below relevant to your state. Remember you may only have as little as 3 days to collect your dog and it can be even less for a cat. Check with your local council for their holding times and always go and visit the shelters. Descriptions can be misleading.

What is my Council?

IMPORTANT! It is absolutely necessary that you report your pet missing with your local Council yourself. Or better yet, visit the council pound or animal holding facility in person to check for impounded pets, as no one can recognise your pet better than you (we have regular reports that the pet was at the pound all along while the owner was told it was not on the phone). You need to do it regardless whether you issued a Pet Alert, your pet is registered with the Council or microchipped.

Click on the appropriate state to see what Council area your location falls under and where your lost pet will most likely end up. It is easy - most of them allow you to look up your POST CODE or SUBURB on the page.

What is my Council in:

  • WA (find you location on the map)
  • SA (look up your suburb or address)
  • NT (select from the list)
  • TAS (select from the list)


Council Pounds, Animal Holding Facilities and Animal Legislation

Click on your state below to find out which councils have pounds or animal holding facilities, where your pet will most likely end up if picked up by a ranger, what other handy animal services (like hiring a cat cage/cat trap) councils provide and what are their current impounding fees and work hours: